The Shaw Mind Foundation exists to significantly reduce suicide across the world. We do this by developing innovative ways to support children and the next generation to flourish and cope with the emotional demands of modern day life, and by supporting businesses to shape positive mental health and wellbeing in the workplace.
Our common aim is to significantly reduce suicide rates across the UK and the USA within the next 10 years*Suicide rates are appallingly high; in 2016 there were 5965 deaths by suicide in the UK, equating to an average of 16 per day.
Furthermore, the USA suffers an average of 123 suicides per day, amounting to a staggering 44,965 deaths by suicide each year.
For every death by suicide, there are around 25 people who attempt to end their own lives.
This is why we have pledged to significantly reduce these figures; no one should ever feel that their life isn’t worth living.
We aim to achieve this by:
- Running a variety of different projects that will help us to reach those in need of mental health support.
- Providing training to schools, workplaces, and other organisations, as well as to individuals and parents.
- Providing support and resources, including an extensive collection of guides on various mental illnesses and situations, which are free to use and download.
- Fighting mental health injustices and stigma to help those who have been treated unfairly as a result of mental illness.
- Working alongside our publishing arm, Trigger™, to create self-help recovery and support books, as well as promoting inspirational recovery stories from people who have battled with mental illness.
We are absolutely devoted to supporting mental health sufferers and their families, and our meaningful philanthropic approach brings positive, lasting change to people’s lives. Our board of trustees receive no remuneration for their work, and for this reason, you can take pleasure in knowing that a high proportion of your donation goes towards ensuring that people receive the help they so desperately need.
*as of 2017